Redwing takes fire safety very seriously. We want to ensure all our residents are aware of what they should do in the event of a fire, and know that their home is up to date with repairs and is fire compliant through our fire safety works that take place year on year. 

Below are some helpful tips on fire safety to make sure your home remains risk free.

For more information, visit:

Fire and smoke alarms

Your home should have at least one working smoke alarm on every level of your home. NEVER take the batteries out of your smoke alarm. Check and test smoke alarms regularly to ensure they are working. Smoke alarms can be bested by you, your property manager, a friend, neighbour, or family member. If you have any concerns, please call us on 0344 736 0063.

Did you know, 90 people die each year because they did not have a smoke alarm or because the battery was flat. It is so important to ensure you check your batteries regulary. 


Make sure everyone in your household knows how to get out in the event of a fire. Ensure escape routes are clear from clutter. Keep your door and window keys in a known and accessible place. Never store anything in a communal area - this is a breach of your tenancy as it can block escape routes and could be a tripping hazard.

If you live in an apartment block and are unsure of your fire evacuation plan or route, please speak to your Property Manager and refer to your fire evacuation plan in your welcome handbook or on the scheme noticeboard.


If you smoke, use a proper ashtray and make sure it is placed on a level surface away from combustible materials. Make sure your cigarettes are fully extinguished and don’t leave lit cigarettes unattended. Don’t smoke in bed – you could easily fall asleep while your cigarette is still burning and cause a fire. Never smoke while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Keep matches out of reach of children.

Did you know, every three days someone dies from a fire caused by a cigarette.


Never leave e-cigarettes on charge unattended for long periods of time. Do not mix components of different e-cigarettes and only use the charger supplied with your device. Only purchase your e-cigarette and charger from a reputable source and check that the e-cigarette carries CE certification.

Electrical heaters

NEVER use electrical heaters to dry clothes and keep them well away from curtains, furniture and other flammable materials. ALWAYS switch off and unplug your heaters before going to bed.


Keep candles and tealights away from anything that can catch a fire. NEVER leave lit candles unattended – make sure they are fully extinguished before leaving the room or going to bed.

Did you know, candles cause more than five fires per day.


Keep cooking areas clear from combustible materials. Make sure your oven and grill are clean – a build-up of fat or grease can cause a fire. DON’T leave pans unattended while cooking and NEVER leave children or pets unattended in the kitchen.

If the pan catches fire, don’t try and tackle the fire yourself. If it is safe to do so, turn off the heat. Never throw water on a pan of fire.

Did you know, over half of home fires are caused by cooking accidents.

Electrical devices

When you go to bed, only leave essential appliances switched on – switch off and unplug electrical items such as TV’s.

In the event of a fire

Ring 999.


Check closed doors with the back of your hand - if it feels warm, the fire may be on the other side.


Smoke can kill – get down as low as possible where the air is clearer.

Know what to do in the event of a fire

This depends on your home, for example, escaping from a fire in a detached house is different than a 5th floor apartment. Always be aware of your fire escape route and plan, if you are unsure please speak to your Property Manager.

If you want to speak to us about fire safety you can contact us on 0344 376 0063 or