Home contents and building insurance

As a resident you are responsible for insuring your property, however the type of insurance you need will depend on your tenancy, lease and property type. 

There are two types of home insurance:

  • Buildings insurance
  • Contents insurance

How am I covered?

All our tenants, shared owners and leaseholders will need to arrange their own contents insurance to insure all your belongings are covered through adequate home insurance, this must also include cover for accidental damage to the property.

As your landlord, Redwing will cover buildings insurance for all our tenants, shared owners and leaseholders. 

Home contents insurance

Home contents insurance provides financial protection to you in the event of something happening to your property and/or belongings. Depending on your policy you might be covered for theft, fire, flood, loss, accidental damage and more.

Buildings insurance

Buildings insurance covers your property for a range of hazards, such as fire, storm and flood, escape of water and malicious damage. 

If Redwing (via our parent organisation, The Regenda Group) arranges your buildings insurance as part of your service charge, we are obliged to provide this as detailed in your lease. As part of this policy, you benefit from increased cover at a reasonably priced premium. The contract is procured via a tender process every 5 years to ensure we continue to provide value for money to our customers.

Your building insurance with Redwing

Buildings insurance is currently provided by Avid Insurance Services and covers your property for a range of hazards, such as fire, storm and flood, escape of water and malicious damage. Please see the product information document at the bottom of this page for more information.

If you are in the unfortunate position of your property suffering damage, you may be able to make a claim via the buildings insurance policy. As you are the owner of your property, it is your responsibility to report any damage to the insurers as soon as possible, to help mitigate any further damage or issues. If you do need to make a claim, please contact your Property Manager to let them know there has been an incident. This is especially important if you live in an apartment, as neighbours may also be affected.

When you make a claim, you will be assigned a Claims Handler who will provide you with all of the information you need to know. You will be responsible for arranging a contractor to remedy any repairs that form part of the claim. In some circumstances, the insurance provider can offer the services of their approved contractors. However, it is often quicker for you to arrange your own contractors directly.

It is important to be aware that we are not responsible for insuring the contents of your home. 

Insuring the contents of your home is your responsibility. In the event of any damage, you may need to make two insurance claims, one for the damage to your building and one for the contents.

Please be aware you will be responsible for paying the insurance excess. The amount payable is included in the insurance summary.

Making a claim

If you do need to make a claim against your building insurance, please call 0161 274 9077, and quote policy number 3323759.

Policy documents

Proof of insurance, including policy number, renewal date, and summary of cover can all be downloaded below.